Monday, June 9, 2008

Scary Moment

Cade managed to scare us this past week. He was at Nana and Papa's house on Friday. Nana called me that afternoon telling me something was up with Cade's breathing. I could hear him on the phone and he was wheezing and coughing. I told her I would call the peditrician and call her back. While I was on hold with the peditrician, Nana called back and said he was really scaring them. So I left and got him. In the meantime, the doctor called and could get him in as soon as I could get there.

Cade was in good spirits. He was just having a hard time breathing. We got to the doctor's office. Cade hated being weighed, looked at and touched in general. You'd think he would be use to this by now as often as we've been lately. They did a breathing treatment in the office. He also hated this. Then we had to take him for xray. This wasn't pleasant either. The nurses had to hold him down while he screamed the whole time. Luckily the nurses were wonderful and it didn't take very long. You can see his little mouth open in the screaming position in his xray. That was kind of cute to see.

Diagnosis was brochiolitus (I'm sure this isn't spelled correctly). My mom told me this is basically asthma. The doctor said this could be a one-time occurrence or something that might happen more. Asthma runs on my mom's side of the family (she and my brother both have it). His cousin also had a couple episodes like this when he was little but has since outgrown it. So it's not out of the question for him to have it. They sent us home with a breathing machine, steroids and antibiotics. After a breathing treatment that night, and several on Saturday, he's much better. He had one breathing treatment yesterday morning and didn't need another one all day.

Luckily this episode was short-lived. I'm hoping this will be the only episode. It never phased Cade any. He was still wanting to play and wrestle and talked like he always does. He and DADA wrestled a lot yesterday - that's funny to watch. Cade was head-butting as hard as he could.

The scariness of the moment didn't hit me until I was at Walgreens getting his prescription filled. I got all teary-eyed while at the drive-thru. I know there are many years ahead of me of worry with Cade. I guess it is a life-time of worry.... I guess that is being a parent.

No comments: